Friday, October 10, 2008

GG Authors 5 Sherlockian Questions - Martin Powell

Martin Powell
Story: Sherlock Holmes in the Lost World

1) When did you first encounter Sherlock Holmes?

It was in the sixth grade, I think. Conan Doyle's "The Norwood Builder" was in our English text book and we were assigned to read it. I remember being very excited by the story, especially impressed with the Great Detective's solution to the mystery. I really admired his cleverness. Still do.

2) Do you have a favourite story from the canon?

Several come to mind. I think "The Speckled Band" is the perfect, iconic Holmes adventure. It's the first one I always suggest for new readers. I love "A Scandal in Bohemia" and "The Dying Detective", too.

3) Are you active in any Sherlockian societies?

I'm not, actually. Perhaps I should be, though.

4) Are you involved with any other Sherlock Holmes projects?

Always. SHERLOCK HOLMES IN THE LOST WORLD was my seventh Holmes adventure and my eighth and ninth tales of the Great Detective will see print very soon, including a graphic novel adaptation of THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES, from Stone Arch Books. That one is, by the way, the only Conan Doyle adaptation I've ever done. The others have all been original stories. It was lots of fun, returning to the source.

5) Any other of your projects you'd like to tell our readers about?

Well, I'm sorely tempted, but I won't. Sherlock Holmes is the star here, and that's as it should be.

No comments: